Lose Together, Win Together
When it comes to joining a weight loss program, getting by with a little help from your friends is great! In fact, one study (Wing & Jeffery, 1999) found that participants who joined a weight loss program with a friend lost more weight than those who joined alone.
Susan and Alan, a couple from Medi-Weightloss® Auburn, understand the power of losing weight together. They have lost a combined 142 pounds to reach their weight loss goals! What Susan and Alan enjoyed most about the program was the ability to lose together, saying they motivated each other every step of the way and enjoyed cooking and trying healthy foods together.
As with Susan and Alan, the support couples give each other can be immeasurable. Here are five ways to boost each other’s confidence to help you win the weight loss battle.
- Be patient with each other. Losing weight isn’t easy so encourage each other and remember that Medi-Weightloss® is here to help!
- Think of exercise as bonding time. It’s not easy for couples to carve out us time. Scheduling regular workouts with your partner will help you stay accountable to each other and give you time together. Put your weekly workouts in your calendar each weekend and keep the date.
- Be generous with compliments. A positive comment or word of encouragement might just be that extra push your partner needs.
- Cook healthy (and tasty) meals together! Let your creative side take over or simply choose a recipe from the Medi-Weightloss® Signature Patient Website and enjoy!*
- Keep it fun. There are countless ways to have fun and burn calories at the same time. Join a local ultimate Frisbee team or try hula hooping in the driveway with the kids. Date night? Try something new like salsa dancing! Many communities offer free or low-cost classes.
Losing weight will seem so much easier with a buddy! Come in with a friend or your loved one and lose 24% more weight as a team (Nguyen, et al., 2013). Schedule a FREE assessment at your nearest Medi-Weightloss®! What do you have to lose?
Nguyen, J., Guzman, M., Schram, E., Holub, C.K., Zbella, E. & Shah Alvarez, S. (November 2013). Multicenter study of social support and patient dyads in a physician-supervised weight loss program. Poster presented at the annual meeting of The Obesity Society, Atlanta, GA.
Wing, R.R., & Jeffery, R.W. (1999). Benefits of recruiting participants with friends and increasing social support for weight loss and maintenance. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 67(1), 132-138.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be an exhaustive examination of the subject matter nor a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your primary care physician or healthcare provider before beginning any diet or exercise program.
*Only active Medi-Weightloss® patients may access the Signature Patient Website. Not a Medi-Weightloss® patient? Click here to find a location near you.