Living a life of wellness is more than just having a good diet and exercising. Optimal wellness is being in harmony in seven areas: physical, emotional, spiritual, social, intellectual, occupational, and environmental.
1. Physical. Physical Wellness includes everything from getting adequate sleep and enough exercise to maintaining a healthy body composition and diet. Adults need 150 minutes of physical activity each week and seven to nine hours of sleep nightly.
2. Emotional. How well do you handle stress? Do you have ways to relax and unwind? Finding ways to release tension and find inner balance is one of the keys to wellness.
3. Spiritual. Are you hopeful for the future? Do you feel your life has meaning and you are fulfilling your purpose? These are all attributes of individuals living a life of wellness.
4. Social. Are you connected in your community? Do you have friends and family that support you? Having close relationships with individuals you can count on is critical to your health and well-being.
5. Intellectual. Have you found your calling in life? Are you able to express your inner wisdom? Finding a rewarding job or hobby that allows you to spread your gift can help boost your mood, give you a sense of purpose, and increase your overall well-being.
6. Occupational. Do you live to work or work to live? Finding a healthy balance between work and play can be a key point in improving your health and wellness.
7. Environmental. Do you feel safe in your neighborhood? Is your physical environment healthy or are you surrounded by pollution, smoke fumes, or other toxins? Living in a safe and healthy environment is a key factor in being healthy.
Knowing the seven keys to wellness is the first step; the second is putting your knowledge into action! Changing your life can be scary and overwhelming, so don’t go it alone. There are several resources available to help you in all areas of wellness. One of which is a medical weight loss clinic. Losing weight through proper diet and exercise can help enhance your physical and emotional well-being. Start small, take daily steps, and you will soon find yourself living the life of balance you've always desired.