Think you can’t get tasty, fresh, in-season produce in January? Think again! There are more than 28 fruits and vegetables in season, including apples, cauliflower, clementine, celery root, grapefruit, kale, kiwi, and pears. Here are five great recipes you can easily make with fresh ingredients. Put away the can opener and head to the local farmers market. Your taste buds will thank you.
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Coconut Curry: This easy curry made with chickpeas and cauliflower can be lightened up by with light coconut milk and no rice.
- Cauliflower-Celery Root Puree: Cauliflower has been a substitute for mashed potatoes, but adding celery root gives this recipe another dimension of flavor. A cousin to celery, celery root (or Celeriac) has the taste of celery but the texture of potato.
- Carrot and Clementine Salad: Craving something seasonal, refreshing, and surprisingly flavorful? This carrot salad, with clementine and kale and simply dressed with a walnut oil vinaigrette, is super quick to make and absolutely delicious.
- Warm Apple and Cranberry Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing: This slightly sweet, slightly nutty salad is a perfect side dish for winter and easy for kids to help make, thus getting in your family quality time.
- Kale and Pear Winter Slaw: Crisp pears, tart cranberries, crunchy pecans, assertive onions, smoky bacon, and sweet honey combine nicely, adding layers of complementary flavors and textures to this pleasantly chewy kale slaw.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be an exhaustive examination of the subject matter nor a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your primary care physician or healthcare provider before beginning any diet or exercise program.
Active Medi-Weightloss® patients should consult the experts at their location on whether the recipes are appropriate for their stage of the program.