We all tend to feel stressed from time to time, which can lead to seeking comfort in high-calorie or sugary foods. In recognition of Stress Awareness Month, we want to help you fight stress with one powerful weapon— food.
Relieve stress naturally with these healthy foods:
1. Spinach - It might not be exactly the sweet treat you are craving, but spinach is rich in folate, which produces dopamine — a pleasure-inducing brain chemical.
2. Nuts - Almonds contain vitamin B, which can make you more resilient when you face stress.
3. Oatmeal - Did you know oatmeal helps with the production of serotonin? This feel-good chemical not only lifts your mood, it also can help you overcome stress. Try our Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal or Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal.
4. Dark chocolate - There is a benefit to craving chocolate. According to a study that appeared in the Journal of Proteome Research, regular chocolate eaters had lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol. So stress less by trying our Dark Chocolate Sensations as they contain less than 24 calories.
5. Blueberries - Research shows that the phytonutrients found in blueberries help to fight stress. Looking for something that is a little bit more filling, then rip open our Blueberry Pomegranate Protein Bar.
Active Medi-Weightloss® patients should consult the experts at their location on whether the foods and recipes mentioned are appropriate for their phase of the program.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be an exhaustive examination of the subject matter nor a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your primary care physician or healthcare provider before beginning any diet or exercise program.